Purpose of this Blog

The purpose of the God Does the Right Thing blog is to be a place where we, His redeemed children, can share with each other the things He has done and is doing and give praise to Him for it. For He is God and there is no other. He is God and He always does the right thing.

"God is Light and in Him is no darkness at all...if we walk in the Light as He is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin" (1 John 1:5b, 7).

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Memorial Day

We finished some work around the house one evening this week so my son and I got into our topless and doorless Jeep for a short ride. We ended up at a nearby cemetery, heading into a back entrance when I noticed an American flag on top of a small hill. Once at the hill, we stopped the vehicle and got out. The mound was perfectly cone-shaped, topped with the flag and covered with grave markers, each with their own small American flag. Fascinated, we began walking and looking at the markers. They were all veterans and some of the markers said, “killed in action.” Most were from WW2, but there were also those who fought in the Gulf, Vietnam, Korea, WW1 and even the Civil War. What started out as a fun ride suddenly turned rather solemn. I paid a little extra attention to the ones who died in battle, most of them were between nineteen and twenty-five years old. I looked over at my son, who is now twenty. I can’t imagine.

Continuing around the mound, Nathaniel came across a more recent marker with a wooden sign addressed to “My Daddy.” Given the years stamped onto the grave marker, the boy must have been five or less when his daddy was taken Home. Building upon all the others, this one finally brought tears to my eyes. Nathaniel and I wondered about the stories these men could have told as we made our way back to the Jeep. How fitting to unexpectedly end up here as we head into Memorial Day weekend. I knew right then that I needed to make mention of this experience in my next blog.

If you know me or read my blog posts regularly, you know that I am a veteran of the US Navy’s Submarine Service. I don’t consider myself any kind of hero. I never experienced the horrors of war and no one ever shot at me. I know many people who did experience those things; they are the real heroes. I love to talk to other vets, anytime I see someone with a veteran’s cap I always thank them for their service and if possible, I ask them when and where they served. Over the years I have heard some amazing stories as a result of these encounters.

The men who are buried on that cemetery mound devoted themselves to defending our nation, our freedoms, and our national commitments. Some of them gave their lives in the process, and all of them were willing to do so.

As believers in Jesus Christ, we who are citizens of the United States also belong to another nation, a holy one, and our leader is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The Holy Spirit through the Apostle Peter tells us, “you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy” (1 Peter 2:9-10). A good number of us have served in the US military, or perhaps your spouse, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister has served. You know something about the sacrifice involved with military service.  The Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard require commitment and dedication, discipline and endurance.

The Holy Spirit used those kinds of characteristics to describe a follower of Christ in 2 Timothy 2:3, “You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.” As followers of Christ we are in battle, a spiritual battle as Ephesians 6:12 says, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

The question is, are we as committed and disciplined in our spiritual warfare as those who serve in the military are to defending the United States? Do we take this seriously or are we just meandering along in some lukewarm, committed-when-it’s-convenient state?

Before Nathaniel and I climbed back into the Jeep that evening, I turned and faced the small hill covered with the grave markers of my fallen comrades. In the quiet of the moment I stood at attention and gave a long salute. “Thank you,” to everyone who has served or is serving in our nation’s military. When you see a Vet this weekend, or anytime, tell them you appreciate their service while you have a chance to do so. Meanwhile, learn from them; learn from history. Defeating the enemy and defending your brothers and sisters in Christ is not something you can do half-heartedly or when you have nothing better to do. Churches will be reopening soon, but even if they don’t, there is still much we can do to reach the lost with the gracious Gospel of Christ. Don’t be lukewarm, be a good soldier of Christ.

Grace and Peace,
Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment